American Portraits, USA Road-Trip: ‘Old’ South (Georgia)
Fourth set of American ‘portraits’ featuring interviewees during the USA road-trip(s): Divided the South in two regions so here’s the ‘Old South’, including Savannah and Athens, Georgia.
The following blurb of text is the same for other posts in this American portraits series, spare yourself the second read and please share!
These will serve as way of introduction for some of the interviewees featured in the movie and hopefully give viewers an idea of the demographics encountered – and through that shed light on the possible biases or commonalities in the selection of people met along the road, as well as their answers. Though I sought to interview a wide array of people from different socio-cultural backgrounds, I’m aware of some of the limitations or under-representations in the selection of people featured (ie: fewer women than men were willing to be interviewed on camera, and some ‘types’ of people such as public servants or perhaps more influential people are less likely to give an interview to a road-running stranger driving across the country in a white minivan – nobody should, really).
Why quote-unquote ‘portraits’?
I hadn’t set out to do a series of photo portraits (though I should have – and will correct this deficiency in future projects) so these were taken on the fly, ‘as a way to get the focus right’ in the seconds before a video interview. And most of these (due to forgetfulness at the time) are simply screenshots from the video interviews. All pictures were treated similarly in LightRoom using a unique adjustment of contrasting and sharpening so please excuse their coarseness – I suppose these are my apologies for the untailored esthetic of these shots.
Featured here, and special thanks to them (city corresponds to where I met them, not always where they’re from):
- Armless Artist, Athens GA
- Dan, Athens GA, biker who prefers to be useless
- Michelle and John, Athens GA, UGA students
- Jere, Hilton Head SC, professor
- Kay (Roller), Hilton Head SC, school teacher
- Elizabeth and Theresa?, Hilton Head SC, community workers
- James (Roller), Hilton Head SC, from Ohio, founded a construction business
- Pat (Judson Roller), Hilton Head SC, her bikini looks nearly keeled over a US navy boat full of horny officers on return from duty
- Martinez, Savannah GA, Desert Storm vet
- Brian, Savannah GA, media outreach for Occupy Savannah
- Eileen (Boyard), Savannah GA, coffee bar waitress
- Street cleaner, Athens GA
- Spencer, Athens GA, UGA student